Announcing Braille Transcriber Certification Courses for Iowa Educators
The Iowa Library for the Blind and Print Disabled is excited to announce two new
Weekly Dose of Braille
This question has been a little harder to answer right away. By the way, it
FAQ Friday: Returning IMC Materials
End of Year Returns Thank you to all who have returned the IMC Library Collection
The Instructional Materials Center (IMC) and the Iowa Library for the Blind and Print Disabled at the Iowa Department for the Blind are state resources for accessible educational materials (AEM).
The IMC produces and acquires educational materials in alternative formats for eligible students who are unable to access standard print throughout the State of Iowa. Our focus is on timeliness, quality, and cost.
- Textbooks and core related materials such as workbooks
- Supplemental materials such as worksheets and teacher-created worksheets
- Online class materials and curriculum
As an Authorized Media Producer (AMP) in Iowa for braille, large print, audio and electronic text formats, the IMC has resources to provide timely, quality, and cost-effective materials to students and schools.
IMC and Library Resources Include:
- Large library collection of materials in alternative formats
- The library collection has over 200,000 titles in braille, large print, and audio with over 5,000 titles that are core collection accessible educational materials
- Available for loan to eligible students at no cost. Last year almost 400 textbooks and workbooks needed by students were available for free.
- Alternative format experts on staff
- Access to librarians to research and find quality materials quickly and cost-effectively
- Staff ensure materials that need to be procured are at the lowest cost available
- Transcription Services (Braille, Large Print, Electronic Text and Audio)
- Certified Braillists on staff. Over 20% of orders are completed by staff, keeping transcription costs down.
- Access to a nationwide network of vendors and contractors
- Quick Braille Program for braille transcription needed immediately
- Web Based Ordering Portal for Schools
- An easy online ordering system
- Coming Soon: schools and educators will be able to track orders from start to finish as they are completed by the IMC
- Braille Embosser and eReader Loaner Program
- Students can check out from the library IRIE braille embossers and braille eReaders at no cost
Other available services and trainings for schools and educators:
- Assistance with accessibility and Learning Management Systems, such as Google Classrooms and Canvas
- Open Educational Resources Accessibility Assistance
- Universal Design for Learning Training
- Braille Resources and Training
- Assistance in locating materials in alternative formats
- Reference and information assistance
The IMC and Library are committed to ensuring students have the accessible educational materials they need to succeed.
Contact us today!